Summer 2016: Salzburg, Day 2

Bus #840, which goes all the way to Berchtesgaden, Germany in about 45 minutes, came at around 9:00 in the morning today, which was good because an early bus would mean a longer day for us to see and do a lot more things. Well, that idea quickly went away, because around 20 minutes into the bus ride, our bus broke down on the middle of the road…we had to wait on the side of the road until a new bus came to rescue us. Some of the people from the bus were trying to hitchhike, hoping a generous car would come and pick them up, but alas – to no avail. Anyways, that put a pretty big dent in the day, as we got to Berchtesgaden at around 12:00 PM, which would only leave us a couple of hours to explore before we had to catch the last bus back to Salzburg. So, when we finally got there, we decided to take the bus to Konigssee (where our fish from last night came from!), which was just arriving, as the bus to Obersalzberg wasn’t going to come for another hour or so (pretty sparse schedule because today was a Saturday).

Konigssee (the King’s lake) is just about one of the picturesque places I’ve ever been in my life. The water just can’t get any clearer or bluer than the water in this lake, and the lush, green hills surrounding the lake form the perfect environment. Definitely hope to return back to this place again.

We returned back to the Berchtesgaden bus station to catch the next bus to Obersalzberg, most famous for being the location where Hitler and the Nazis used to reside. There is now a museum there (Documentation center) that goes through the history of the Nazis with this area, in addition to being the site from which a number of buses leave to go to the Eagle’s Nest. The Eagle’s Nest, a Nazi complex that was presented to Hitler as a birthday present, is situated on top of the very steep mountain, so only the special buses that run from the Documentation center area are allowed to go up there (or you can hike yourself, but it’ll take a much longer time). The roads are usually closed in the winter because of avalanches, so a lot of tourists come to visit in the summer. After you get off the bus, in order to get to the actual complex, you have to walk through a long, dark, and cool tunnel to get to a single golden elevator built right into the mountain. There was a super long line waiting to go into the elevator, so it must have taken about 30-45 minutes for us just to get to the elevator. But, it’s definitely worth the wait, because the moment you walk out of the elevator, it feels like you’re standing on top of the world. The views are absolutely breathtaking (if you look far enough, you can see Salzburg!), and it’s very secluded and quiet. The complex itself is still intact, but it’s been repurposed for tourists – so there are restaurants, information areas, etc.

We made our way back to Salzburg and grabbed dinner at L’osteria, a popular Italian restaurant in the city (and pretty cheap too!!). The food is okay (the spaghetti bolognese sauce isn’t that flavorful), but after a full day of walking and buses and stuff, I would’ve been fine with any meal!  I could’ve sworn that I saw a CSO member there – maybe she was in town to see Maestro Muti conduct at the Festival…who knows? Anyways, tomorrow is the big day…aka Maestro Muti’s concert with the Vienna Philharmonic!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s